This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure for more info.
Oh, I love fall. The cooler temperatures, long-sleeve t-shirts, the smell of pumpkin spice candles, and college football Saturdays bring me such joy. It’s the perfect time to get outside as a family after a long, hot summer and enjoy all that the fall season has to offer. There are so many fun things to do, and I have listed 21 of my favorite outdoor fall activities that are perfect for kids and the whole family.
FREEBIE! Sign up to receive the FREE Fall Outdoor Family Fun Bucket List printable at the bottom of this post, and check off all the activities as you do them together as a family!
21 Outdoor Fall Activities for Kids
1. Visit a pumpkin patch. Find a local pumpkin patch, take some pictures of your kids with the pumpkins, and then pick out one or more to take home.
2. Create a nature craft. There are plenty of fun ideas on Pinterest for nature crafts. One simple fall craft activity is leaf rubbing. Head outside and find some large leaves. Place them under paper. Then, with the side of a crayon, rub across the leaf to create a fun print of your leaf.
3. Visit the State Fair. We love going to the State Fair of Texas and rarely miss a year. The kids love seeing the livestock, eating crazy food, and exploring all the Fair has to offer. Here is a list with the 2018 dates for all of the State Fairs in the USA.
4. Go on daily walks. Once the temperatures cool down, we try to go on at least one walk everyday. It’s a great way to start or end the day.
5. Complete a 5K. Fall is a popular time for 5K races; consider doing one together as a family. They are a lot of fun and a great way to get exercise and help a cause at the same time.
6. Go trick-or-treating. Dress the kids in some creative costumes and head outside for some trick-or-treating.
7. Attend a fall festival. Many churches and communities offer fall festivals that you can attend with your kids and enjoy trunk or treating, games, food, and more.
9. Play at a local park or playground. The fall season is a perfect time to explore a new playground in town or head to the local park. This is something we enjoy almost daily in the fall.
10. Go hunting. I remember going hunting with my dad when I was young. It was always a blast sitting in a deer blind together or following closely behind as we walked through the woods. Here are the hunting season dates for Texas. You can find information on Texas youth hunting licenses and resident licenses here. Be sure and check online for season dates and license information for your specific state. You can also keep things simple by hunting for bugs, leaves, rocks, and more in your own backyard!
11. Go fishing. Fishing is another fun family activity and a great way to explore the outdoors together. Here’s a helpful post with 10 Tips for Fishing with Young Kids.
12. Go camping. Find a state park or national park near you and take the family camping.
13. Attend a local high school or college football game. Watching a football game under the lights is a fun way to spend a Friday or Saturday night. There’s something for everyone with mascots, marching bands, cheerleaders, drill teams, stadium food, and of course, football.
14. Enjoy dinner on a restaurant patio. Request patio seating at a local restaurant or head out for some ice cream and sit outside. Our kids love it when we eat outside.
15. Have a picnic. Pack a basket with sandwiches, chips, and fruit, head outside, and enjoy lunch or dinner under a shade tree.
16. Read a book outside. Reading is always a great activity to incorporate into your child’s day. You can easily change things up by moving story time outside.
17. Carve a pumpkin. Let the creative juices flow and carve a pumpkin together.
18. Make a scarecrow. This is such a fun one to do together as a family. If you need some simple instructions to help you along the way, check out this helpful post here.
19. Go on a bike ride. One of my favorite outdoor activities growing up was riding bikes with my brothers. It was even more fun when my mom and/or dad joined us for a ride. A family bike ride is a great way to start or end a fall day.
20. Visit a zoo. Zoos are usually a little less crowded on weekdays in the fall. With less crowds and cooler temperatures, the fall is a great time to visit the zoo.
21. Watch a movie outside. Sometimes communities show movies in the park or you can gather the family in the backyard and set up a movie night outside at home.
Don’t forget to grab your free Fall Outdoor Family Fun Bucket List printable below and check off all the activities as you do them together as a family!
Happy Fall, Y’all!